Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tetsumi Kudo, Cubes and Gardens - Studio Journal

"I now prophesy the growth of the new ecology in the swamp of "poluted nature" and "decomposing humanity."
-Tetsumi Kudo, 1971

Garden of the Metamorphosis in the Space Capsule, 1968


    A few weekends ago, on my way home from the gallery I work at on 25th street, I took a walk around the galleries in Chelsea. One of the galleries I went to was the Andrea Rosen Gallery where I got a chance to see work from a very innovative artist named Tetsumi Kudo. Tetsumi Kudo is an artist from Japan who works around the themes of humanity in a polluted, consumption- driven world. Kudo's centerpiece in the exhibition titled, Garden of the Metamorphosis in the Space Capsule, 1968, gave me some new ideas for my thesis. This cube sized room was made up of black lights, which played off the colors of the large flowers and hanging cages. These sculptures are made to represent "obsolete Humanist values."


Garden of the Metamorphosis in the Space Capsule, inside view


     Kudo's Space Capsule got me thinking of space. First, I need to remember the fact that I will be sharing the gallery space with the rest of my senior class. I started to come up with some new ways in which I will be able to put my installation in the space. Rather than place my installation up against a wall (where projecting may become an issue with other artists' work), what if I were to make some kind of enclosed space  that people would be able to interact with? Most of my sculptures will be durable for people to touch  so why not create a space where the audience can become apart of my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment