Monday, November 15, 2010

Airan Kang, Light Reading - Studio Journal

Airan Kang's Digital Book Project


     The other week, when I got a chance to walk the galleries in Chelsea, I found myself drawn to these book - shaped sculptures by artist, Airan Kang. Kang's book sculptures are made of resin and LEDs (light emitting diodes.) The books in the exhibition are made to represent depictions of knowledge that realize the pluralistic spaces of our imagination. Kang visited and photographed many libraries and bookstores to recreate these environments.

One of Kang's "hyper books"

     Like Kang, I will be photographing many outdoor environments, to be able to recreate and get inspiration for the installation I will be creating for my senior thesis. I also like the idea of adding LED lights to my sculptures. I am thinking that I could somehow place the lights under some of the mushroom caps that I will be making. Seeing Kang's sculptures brought me inspiration on projecting some kind of video content onto my piece as well. I think that the media will contrast well with the organic beauty I want to convey with my thesis.

"hyper books"


No comments:

Post a Comment