Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Artist Statement

     At the age of 13 I began capturing images, aiming not to shoot the objects themselves but their essence. I was drawn to the medium of photography because I believe that photographs are never what they seem; not moments frozen in time, but ones that are forever living and moving. I try to see my photographs as living entities.

     Growing up on the Hudson River played a large part in my work, since most of my work incorporates elements of nature. I enjoy shooting people who are close to me in familiar places that are abstract and undefined yet reflective of how I see their connection to the world. I am able to explore these ambiguities through the camera’s lens. In essence, I shoot wide expansive spaces that reflect the journey of the individual through the moving experiences that are formative in their relationships and perspectives with the environment.

     I am usually drawn to taking photographs with a 35mm camera and developing them in a darkroom, but more recently I began working in a digital medium to manipulate photos in an attempt to draw out the metaphysical elements of existence and the relationships that compose it. In the process, I have become fluent in a number of digital editing programs. Because I studied at SVA as a graphic designer, it is very fascinating to me to combine the skills I have learned on the computer with my photography skills.

     In the summer of 2007 and again in the fall of 2009 I had the opportunity to take classes in sculpting at RISD and Mason Gross respectively. These experiences broadened my field of interests and since played a role in my blending of mediums. I have found the environment to be a theme throughout my installations of the permeating nature it has in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment